Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Moves towards Agile; Making noise

After Nick McKenna's talk at the last Yorkshire Extreme Programming Club, I've been inspired to take a look at the processes that surround us at An Agency Called England. Thanks, incidentally, for the JetBrains software. After putting off looking at Ruby for a while, this is encouragement to get in and have a look around.

I finally got time to get my Icecast2 + Ices2 server streaming audio to my phone, which got me thinking about the crate of CDs that have been gathering dust since I finally admitted that my CD decks were broken. Starting to rip them with Grip got me considering file formats. It seems to make sense to use something lossless for archiving which can be converted into whichever format is suitable for contemporary use. MP3 no longer hits either of these for me after looking at FLAC for archiving and Ogg for streaming. I wondered how long that fad would last.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

was interested to hear you had managed to stream icecast to your phone , i have been looking at doing something similar
for www.radiovague.com so that people can
listen to the streams out and about.

could you share how you did it ?